Thursday, January 20, 2011

5 Things from Yesterday and Today

I've been going non-stop for the past few days, so here's a quick synopsis of what's been happening in my little Irish world yesterday and today:

1.) Attempted to go to my first class. There was a schedule mix-up and I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off to find said class. I entered what was supposed to be my Intro to Marketing Course, and what followed was surely straight out of a movie. I walked in the room (late, as I'd been in the wrong building and was getting inconsistent information from people) and everyone started chatting/laughing. Whoops. Turns out that wasn't Intro to Marketing, but rather was a class that's been going on all year. For some reason they signed me up for a class that shouldn't have been available to me. I then went to another DBS building and met with a beautiful (...I mean...brilliant) marketing professor whose class I can hopefully join. Rewarded myself with 3 Butler's chocolates for one of the most embarrassing moment of 2011.

2.) Went to Kilmainham Gaol, a jail built in 1796 which is one of the most historically relevant places in the country. This jail held normal prisoners in the early days, then held executed leaders and politicians of Irish rebellions. The most famous executions were of the 16 leaders of the Easter Rising insurrection. These men staged an uprising to end British rule and establish the Irish Republic in 1916.

3.) Played Spoons at Paddy and Connor's apartment with my roommates! We then went out to a club the boys like because Wednesday night is when the students usually go to clubs and pubs. It was so much fun and we danced all night!

4.) Had my last days of my foundations classes! After class we hung out at a pub next door at a happy hour hosted by our school, and then I had a lovely Thai dinner with a few girls and our program director.

5.) Tomorrow we are going to Belfast in Northern Ireland to learn all about the conflict that Protestant/Catholic turmoil that has occurred there and still lingers to this day. We'll be there through Sunday!

As for now, I'm about to go to bed before 11 p.m, which is of absolute necessity. I want to be well rested to take in all Belfast has to offer, plus I have yet to pack for my weekend. Whoops!

1 comment: