Sunday, January 16, 2011

French Toast and Our French Roommate!

One of the things I love most about Europe is that the food has less preservatives than in the States, meaning that it's better for you! Even though it may be inconvenient that things like milk and bread go bad faster, I'm happy to know they're not choc full of chemicals! Sarah and I had a lot of leftover bread, so we thought that making french toast would be the best way to maximize what we had on hand!

Elise. F. came over and helped us whip up our breakfast treat, and right as we were finishing, our French Roommate Mathilde arrived! She's from the south of France and lives in a home from the 16th century. The fact that her home is ages older than my country is quite impressive. The four of us ate brunch together and talked about the differences and similarities between France and the USA. Mathilde promised she'd teach us how to make crepes, so I'm completely on board for that little cooking lesson coming soon! We spread Nutella and Raspberry Jam on our French Toast which was so tasty! I really, truly think I could live on Nutella spread alone.

After eating, Sarah and I took our new roommate on a little tour of the city center and gave her pointers about navigating our neighborhood. It felt nice to really know where I was going and to be able to recognize so much. The weather was cool and warmer than where any of my family was in the States! This Sunday stroll was perfect to see the buildings and the River during my favorite time of day--the golden hour! Sarah left us to join some family friends for dinner in their Dublin home, and I took Mathilde to buy a go-phone and to pick up some necessary groceries. While at the store I sent a few messages out to friends and organized a dinner at our apartment. It only seemed right after having French toast for breakfast that we eat Mexican food for dinner!

A word to the wise: for anyone trying to find ingredients for a Mexican meal in a Tesco grocery...good luck. There were no black beans, only a few small bags of tortilla chips, and the salsa jars were very small. Thankfully I found the necessary provisions and before we knew it, we were heading back home to begin cooking our Mexican feast!

We had soft tacos with beef, refried beans, sauteed peppers and onions, chips, salsa, and Coronas with lime for good measure. Our crew consisted of several Elon students, a friend from NY, and two French students! After eating we cleaned up and everyone went home. I've been looking at the spring semester courses online so I'll be ready to select my classes on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll have plenty of time off to explore, and do my homework, of course.
Que bueno!

1 comment:

  1. wow, you are so international. "que bueno!" haha I adore you. LOVE Nutella and now I'm really craving it.

    I think it's one of the best feelings when you finally sink into your experience and recognize the streets, the smells, the sounds and suddenly this isn't just an adventure, it's your life. :) keep enjoying those moments!

    Now I'm really going to start homework like I said I would after I skyped you. Ughh winter term.

    ReplyDelete