Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Registration Day

Today I walked to the south side of the city with some classmates to register for our spring classes. This process was so much less stressful than any registering I've done at Elon. Usually I anxiously watch the spots fill up online, and when it's finally my time I sit on edge while the computer server takes forever to process the overload of requests to the system. Today I simply had to email the registration person what I wanted and I'm guaranteed a spot--sweet! I registered for Local and Global Media, Intro to Marketing, Experiential and Avant-Garde Film and Video, and Editing, Layout and Design for Print Media. This should help me be almost finished with the Communications electives I need to take for my major, and the marketing class will fulfill my requirement of taking a business class! This will be an amazing semester and I won't have classes on Mondays or Fridays...life is good. Unfortunately for some people, classes began this week but no one really realized that. I have marketing on Wednesday and Thursday, but that is going to conflict with some of my foundations courses that I have for winter term. I don't want to miss out on any of my classes or a field trip tomorrow because of conflicts beyond my control, but I'll talk to the professors and let them know what's happening.

After registering I walked the half hour back home and started to read my book by James Joyce called Dubliners. Joyce, a famed author, was from Dublin and this, his first work, was published when he was twenty-five. I checked the book out of the library and am excited to read lots of local literature, because Ireland is famous for producing renowned authors! However, my tiredness got the best of me and after page one I decided to "rest my eyes," which in my case always means fall fast asleep. I took an excellent nap--my first one in months--and then woke up to eat leftover crepes for lunch. After getting ready, I made the same trip I'd taken only hours before back to the classroom for an Irish History seminar. 
Something I pass on the way to class!
The walk home from class was very pretty as the sun was setting, leaving the sky purple and blue. The moon was nearly full and when I looked at it I thought of my Dad. Since I was little, whenever he traveled on business or I was at camp he'd tell me to look at the moon because it was the same one he was seeing. In fact, one of my first words was "moon," although I called it "moona." To this day Dad and I still say that sometimes. I sure do love my Daddy (and Mama, of course!) I also saw two swans in the river which seemed very strange. On rare occasions I've seen ducks in the Liffey but never swans! They must have loved me so much from the park yesterday that they followed me! It reminded me of Elon and Lake Mary Nell!
Walking home from class...what a view!
Tonight Sarah and I made ourselves a single girls' dinner consisting of pasta with butter and a huge carrot from the market. Wow. Good work, girls. We ate some tea biscuits coated in Cadbury's chocolate with milk for good measure. After eating we went to our Irish/English friends' apartment and chatted with them for awhile. We brought Mathilde and it was fun to listen to Ireland, England and France banter about the upcoming Six Nations rugby tournament and about past European tiffs. I love international relations in everyday life...it keeps things interesting and is a constant reminder of nationalism and love of ones' country. Speaking of love for a country...I can see the large Irish flag in their apartment from my bedroom in the building across from theirs. I told Connor, the Brit, that they should put an American flag in the family room too. Unfortunately the Irish won't allow Connor to hang a British flag in the main room (hm, wonder why), but they didn't dispute an addition of the beautiful red, white and blue! So now, thanks to me, the stars and stripes are adorning our international friends' wall. USA!

1 comment:

  1. Elise...another wonderful post...and ironically there's a full moon out now and when I saw it I thought of you, hoping maybe you were looking too and maybe thinking of me. Then I read your post with the "moona" reference.....all I can say is I love you baby and am so proud of how well you have adjusted to international life! Keep that optimistic and independent sense of adventure and curiosity. Oh, and good luck with classes too! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete