Friday, January 7, 2011

JFK's Favorite Bar and My First Irish Rain

This morning was just lovely as I awoke to my 30 degree (I'll get back to you on the Celsius) room. Our apartments have been vacant since the last students left so our rooms are literally ice boxes. I haven't quite yet figured out how to work the heat, which is somewhat of a problem, but luckily I usually prefer sleeping in the cold because I enjoy bundling up. However, over here I have a very thin duvet and sheets which are not too conducive to these arctic temperatures. In our apartment we have individual thermostat type things in our rooms and you have to adjust a timer so the heat will come on at certain times (such as when you're sleeping or when you will be returning home.) Luckily some of my friends and I purchased some amazingly soft slipper/boot things that are literally heaven on earth. Ah, the simple joys in life! But back to the heat thing...Ireland is big on saving energy, so we students keep our use in check by using 'electricity cards.' We have to slide a card in a meter which is close to the ceiling so we can have any power. In order to make sure these cards don't run out in a day (this may or may not have already happened. twice.), we have to turn on a switch and choose "sink or bath" to have hot water for our showers. This means that if I want a hot shower (which are hands down my favorite kind), I have to push these buttons 45 minutes before getting in.

But now for the excitement! My friends and I trekked across the city and over the River Liffey to the southside of Dublin where we have class at Dublin Business School. Today was our first day of orientation and I got my spiffy student ID so now I'm official! DBS is comprised of 20 percent international students and they're from 128 countries. Now I'm an international student too...yes! Americans are so exotic, don't you know.

After receiving lots of good information about campus resources and opportunities at DBS including sports and societies (so Elon...), we heard from a lady who represents a national organization for volunteering. I told myself that while abroad I am going to not be my over-zealous/over-involved Elon self, however volunteering sounds perfect and will allow me to engage in authentic Irish activities. This country is all about giving back, and I'm excited for the ample opportunities to get involved with organizations. What excited me most was rescuing stranded seals! Yes, I'm sure that seemed out of the blue, but when else could I help rescue seals, let's be real. While working at SeaWorld I loved hearing about the rescue stories and I've always had a passion for animals. This would definitely be something that I wouldn't normally do at Elon, and it sounds fun. I sure do miss those days of getting my daily dose of marine life. There is also a different opportunity that I liked which includes taking care of animals used for animal-assisted therapy (Including horses and mini ponies! AH!) While I was in a Communications Research class my peers and I conducted research for an AAT agency that had over 40 horses, so I'm a big fan of that kind of field. Tomorrow or the next day I'm going to shoot those people some emails to find out information about those opportunities. Hopefully I can do one of them which will give me a little bit of structure here, help me meet locals and allow me to give back to this community which has welcomed me oh so kindly!

After all of our orientation fun (no cheers or games like an Elon, sorry orientation leaders), we left for the restaurant where all of the FIE students would be treated to a lovely dinner. Upon leaving DBS we walked out into my first Irish rain. It was...wet. And rained all night but my feet were warm and dry so that's all that mattered! We were a bit early for our reservation, so our program director took us to The Stag Head for a pint! I didn't have anything to drink, but rather sat and admired our perfect view from the bay window where my friend Elise and I overlooked the beautiful buildings, people and lights. It was so picturesque and our vantage point allowed us to look down two streets that shared a the same corner. I have decided that so far, this area is the most beautiful I've seen here. The buildings featured high-end stores (there was even a Patagonia outlet...must.save.euros.) and lots of fancy restaurants. There were a few chocolate bars as well, and a milkshake shop. (The Irish LOVE their chocolate and ice cream, I've been told. I have chosen a great place!) The view from our window at the back of the pub was incredible, and the atmosphere was charming and classy. Because of it's amazing architecture, detail and location, it's no wonder this was John F. Kennedy's favorite pub in Dublin...how awesome!
View from our amazing window seat at The Stag's Head...JFK's favorite pub!
Following the pub, we went to the restaurant which was also boasted an exceptional environment and was filled with delicate little candles. For dinner I had a beet salad (didn't love the beets, but the bleu cheese, apple and seeds were good), and then had trout because Ireland has lots of delicious, fresh fish! For dessert I had cheesecake with raspberry sauce which was so amazing and a million times better than any cheesecake I've eaten. Ah, it was lovely! The company was great too, and I had a chance to get to know my students better. Our meal lasted about three hours which was perfect for having good conversation and savoring our meals rather than shoving them down our throats. I can't remember the last time I ate a meal for three hours...usually at school I'm lucky if I average more than 20 minutes.

After dinner I had my first view of the Parliament building and of Trinity College--an amazingly historic and excellent university. My friend Sarah and I think we will study in the magnificent courtyard, which caused our whole group to become silent in awe as went entered. We think that maybe there will be brilliant Irish students (of the male variety), who will be studying there too and who will find us to brilliant and lovely Americans. I'll get back to you if this happens and our plans work and cultivate Irish-American alliances.

We continued our walk back to our apartments down the Quays (streets lining the North and South sides of the River Liffey) and arrived home close to half an hour later. Naturally, being the still exceptionally touristy Americans that we are...we decided it was time for some 'craic' at the pub. After trying one which was exceptionally crowded, we wound up at Glitterman's (right down the street.) Every Friday night there's a DJ, so of course the Elon girls started the dancing. Wonderful. My apartment mate Sarah and I decided to call it a night early and returned home, but not before grabbing some Cadbury's on the way home. I love being over here...Cadbury's is everywhere and they even have the Eastern candy in stock. Oh the simple joys in life...
Among all the Irish memorabilia...we found NC Carolina plates! WOO!
And now it is time for bed. And my room is freezing, still, but the heat is on just a little bit. My goal will be to learn how to use this timer as soon as possible! (Or maybe I'll sleep in my wellies...they are so warm I haven't even taken them off yet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment