Sunday, January 16, 2011

The National Museum and Euro Clubbing

After spending a full day in Kilkenny, I decided to sleep in as late as my body would late me--something that doesn't happen as often as it should! I knew I wanted to make the most of my day, so Elise F. and I decided to spend the afternoon the National Museum of Ireland: Decorative Arts and History. Fortunately for us, the museum is only about a five minutes walk from our apartment and admission is free, so it was the perfect way to spend the overcast and blustery afternoon. We saw exhibits about Irish clothing through the ages, period furniture, artifacts that had been previously in storage, coins and currency, and an extensive collection of Asian art donated by a private Dublin resident in the 1930's.

Decorative Arts and History Museum
When we returned home and made dinner with Sarah and Katie, then got ready to go out and celebrate Paddy finishing his exams. Most all of the American students met in Paddy and Connor's apartment, and we were joined by several new faces--international students! It was quite the diverse mix--Elon would have loved that. The countries represented were Ireland, England, France, Norway and USA (but we may as well be different countries because we come from so many different states.)

We walked to the bus stop where I had my first taste of riding on a double decker! It was amazing! In the states school children think riding in the back of the bus is cool, but over here obviously the top is the best! Because it was so late, everyone riding it was going out and ready to party. I've never experienced anything like this--it was literally a party bus. All of the other riders were drinking out of open containers and someone was even smoking. I suppose what happens on the top of a double decker stays on the top of a double decker. 
Double decker...party bus!

Cool kids on top!
The first bar we went to was great, and all of us got so excited when they played "Build Me Up Buttercup." Everyone in the bar was singing along to it, and it made me miss doing the Carolina shag with friends back at home! We didn't stay there too long, but soon made our way to a club next door which was so fun! I've mentioned in earlier posts that chocolate is one of my favorite things in the world, but that is closely rivaled by dancing! We danced all night and they played a great mix of European and American music. Toward the end of the night a mix of that old song "Hit the Road Jack" came on, which we sang to our very own Elon Jack who we've dubbed as our big brother. After dancing to our hearts' content, we walked home along the River Liffey ready for well-deserved rest!



No comments:

Post a Comment