Sunday, January 9, 2011

Seals, Cliffs and Sea

I woke up this morning and bundled in warm clothes because we were going cliff hiking in Howth (rhymes with both)! As I mentioned previously, one of the reasons  I came to Ireland was to be able to go to the ocean at a moment's notice and surround myself with all things blue and green. I love the sea so much, and today we set out on the Dart (train) to the most adorable fishing town I've ever visited. In fact, this is my favorite fishing town--congrats, Howth! Be warned, I'm sure I'll be infatuated with every Irish fishing town I visit, but for now this is by far the best.

While riding in the train I was enthralled by the deep blue water and was so excited to get off and explore! After getting off the train station we walked down along the harbor past all the boats that were docked because it's Sunday--the day of rest--and boy do these Irish people sure appreciate that! Before getting too far, we stopped by group of people standing by the wall of the harbor and they were looking at about seven, massive seals! Ah, I do miss seals. They were poking their heads out of the water and swimming idyllically while some people threw them bits of fish. 
Seals!
We headed back from the water and stopped at a great outdoor market with fresh food, pastries, Irish and international food, and jewelry--what's not to like! I was captivated by these adorable little cupcakes that were so dainty and perfect. My friends at school at are are mildly obsessed with cupcakes, so this was as great as finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow! Unfortunately my camera died, but I think that's because it was unworthy of photographing these pieces of art. The woman selling them gave me a piece of a berry cupcake, which made my taste buds do an Irish jig. Heavenly. Some of my friends tried sandwiches made with pork, applesauce and stuffing and sounded so grand! The meat was carved right in front of us--so fresh!

After people grabbed a quick bite, we began our steep trek to the cliffs that overlooked the Bay of Howth, which leads into the Irish Sea. I adore hiking, and this was the perfect day for it. The initial street we climbed reminded my legs of the hill where I did sprints for soccer because of its rigor, however the feelings going through my mind were of elation not agony. We left the street and started on a trail that was quite muddy, and my super chic turquoise Chuck Taylors, compliments of my dear friend Emily, got their first taste of off roading! Not a thought in the world was going through my mind while walking the cliffs and looking at the ocean except how strikingly beautiful it all was. I was so at peace and it was just another constant reminder of what an amazing creator God is. His beauty astounds me and I see it everywhere in this landscape. 
The Bay of Howth in all its glory
When we reached a certain point, the majority of the group headed back down, but the rest of us decided to go to the top! The group consisted of mostly Elon people (though most of us have just recently met), and I was proud of our adventurous spirits! The sun was beginning to set and it highlighted the mountains in the distance and sparkled over the water. Instead of walking around the rest of the mountain we scrambled up some rocks to get to the top where we had a splendid view that left us speechless for a few moments. This was the Ireland I've always imagined! We took the road back down to the village and marveled at the simple yet sophisticated homes, pubs and few shops along the way. To reward ourselves for all of the exercising we'd endured, we stopped at The Cock Tavern for a pint. I tried Bulmers Irish Cider for the first time and really enjoyed it because it tasted like apples and after all, I was an Apple Blossom Princess back in the day. As we left, it was completely dark, which happens much earlier here than in the states. We took the Dart back, then jumped on the Luas (Dublin's rail system), which took us home. 
Fearless cliff explorers surveying the Irish Sea
Tonight my friend Elise (the one with such an great name, don't you think?) came over and we made pasta. The only thing I'd eaten today was a muffin and a pint (when I get excited and distracted I tend not to eat. Whoops.) Since the only thing in my apartment was pasta and salad (haven't quite gotten food yet, again, whoops), we ate that! (I will be walking everywhere, the all carb diet is going to work out just fine for me, I think!) Sarah got home soon after and we ate and chatted, I noticed the lights were on in our Irish friends' apartment, which is in the building next to ours. Someone was standing in the window, so naturally I stood up and waved my arms to get his attention. In no time they were all signaling us to come over, so we did! The three of us dashed over to hang out with Paddy, Audrey, Jenny and Connor (the Brit!), and had a great chat about the school we'll attend starting tomorrow, Irish culture, and of course drinking, because that's what the Irish really like to do.

Well, I'm quite content. This Sunday was a great way to see a the coast and realize how easy it will be to take day trips around this gorgeous country! School starts tomorrow for the people in our program, and we'll be learning loads of Irish culture and history until the end of the month! I'm excited, though was really liking this whole idea of being in another country for simply pleasure. Oh well, I guess that's what comes along with studying abroad :)

1 comment:

  1. I remember emailing my mom and asking her how necessary the "study" part of "study abroad" was. Apparently, it comes first for a reason.

    I hope you have a great first day of class tomorrow!!! Take a picture with your friends and your book bags! I love this blog! You are great!

    ReplyDelete