Thursday, January 6, 2011

"Welcome to the Republic"

Well today has been quite an eventful day, or two days, I suppose. I departed from Dulles Airport on the way to Heathrow, but not after my lovely father snapped a picture of his little girl about to head for security. (I'd be lying if I said I don't feel a little tear form whenever I have to leave dear old Dad for a few months. He's a keeper, that Paul D.) Naturally I wanted to take a photo flashing peace signs because that's how I like to take photos, so I did. By the time I got to my gate it was serious business. I hoped I looked convincingly European, and I think I did a pretty good job of it. My goal was to remain silent so people would think I was a trendy European about to return home after a holiday in the states. I held my cover until striking up a conversation with an embassy worker who lives in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates. Apparently they had an 11 million dollar Christmas tree this year? Who knew.
Eat, Pray, Love...Perfect travel reading!
My flights were fine, and I was quite thrilled to be surrounded by so many eclectic people heading for London! There was a member of the crew who was a middle aged British man who I think should be the poster person for middle aged British men. His charm helped ease my annoyance of missing my connecting flight to Dublin as we were delayed a bit getting to Heathrow and there was no way any of us were going to make our connection. It was OK though because as we flew over London it was fairly dark and I pretended I was Harry Potter flying over Privet Drive on Hagrid's motorcyle. But anyway, a word to the wise, if you're ever in Heathrow and have to get from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1...good luck. And wear good walking shoes that are tied so you don't trip on the millions of escalators you'll have to traverse. Don't worry, I didn't trip, but I did use my soccer mom power-walking skills. Fortunately the friendly man from Aea Lingus gave me a ticket for a flight just 45 minutes later. Perfect! I sat between two lovely Irish men, and near several Irish students. The stewardesses sore green suits, and one had beautiful red hair. This was authentic!

I dozed on the flight and awoke to the sun rising over the beautiful Irish Sea and the green landscape. It was stunning, and I walked off the plane and on to Irish ground and inhaled as deep as I could. Ta da! Here I am world! Moving through customs and baggage claim was easy, and then I met my program coordinated and some fellow students from everywhere imaginable! An Irish woman walked over to a few of my new friends and me and asked where we were from. We answered that we were from the States, and she commented on how all of us girls had long hair and we were directing our attention to the boy in the group seated in the middle of us. This made us chuckle--Peter is a lucky fellow! Then this cheery older woman told us "Welcome to the Republic," and wished us a happy 2011. Well, I am certain t will be a happy 2011 because starting it with this adventure is incredibly exciting!

We were soon shuttled to our apartments in a bus, then given a helpful walking tour of the city! I'm sharing my apartment with a friend from school, Sarah. This is not the red-headed Sarah who is my favorite redhead who will never be replaced by an born and bred Irish person, I promise. My apartment mate Sarah is fantastic. We went on a spring break trip to complete Hurricane Katrina work together last year in MS and we share many of the same passions. One of these passions is leadership, and we have spent countless hours together in Elon's Isabella Cannon Center for Leadership! She has a heart for adventure and we are planning on living every day to the hilt! I'm thankful to have this time with her as we make the city our own. Next week we will be welcoming an French student who will serve as our third apartment mate. We're excited to meet her!

The bus ride to the apartment and walking tour of our neighborhood was so great! I loved seeing everything I've read about for the first time...the Ha'Penny Bridge, Christ Church Cathedral, a monument peeking out from Phoenix Park, just to name a few. I honestly can't still can't believe I'm here. Our lovely resident director was very helpful as she walked with us around our neighborhood which is filled with life and vibrance. It is a working class neighborhood surrounded by pubs, shops and restaurants. We are very close the the River Liffey which splits Dublin into a north and south side, and naturally me being the water sign that I am (yeah Scorpios!) I'm all about that river. Everything seems relatively close and I'm very excited to try the local markets for fresh foods that are on every corner, it seems. The fish shops are only open Tuesday through Saturday because they never sell fish that hasn't been caught that day or the day before, and the produce looks fantastic and is very reasonable! Dublin has the oldest continuously run fruit and veggie market in Europe (let me double check on that, but I'm pretty sure that's what I heard), and I'm eager to live like a European and get fresh, reasonable food often to make yummy and healthy meals! Obviously I'm on a student budget, so my friends and I are going to figure out the best ways to cook and buy groceries while we're here!

Some activities of the evening included eating fish and chips (FINALLY), and it was delicious! We also went to Penney's, a really inexpensive store that sells literally everything (except toliet paper, apparently.)
Most of my friends and I purchased go phones later on and are on the same network so we can call and text for free which is great news! I'm only going to use it when I absolutely need to, and I am quite looking forward to being fairly disconnected while abroad!
Christmas lights are still up in the city...magical!
The last thing we did this evening was a trip to a local pub that has gotten great reviews from students who've studied through FIE (Foundation of International Education) before. I had my first pint of Guinness in the most adorably Irish pub you can imagine. There was a rugby match playing (the Dragons verses some Ch team...?), and there were several older men enjoying the game and a pint. The decor was all Irish, and very tasteful. I could tell this establishment had been around for a long time, and clearly it's a spot for the locals. We explored the back room which has great booths and booths and stools and velour-type couches and secluded booth areas. The ceilings are covered with records, and there are old photos, beer memorabilia and posters on the wall. Hanging form the ceiling is even a wrought-iron bed with a man and woman and blow up doll in it, and I think there was a cow pulling it? Or something? Regardless, it was charming and perfect and what I've always imagined as an Irish pub...just quieter. It was early when we went, and I think this is maybe a place for an older crowd, however we're excited for Friday nights when there is dancing! Irish people sure know how to have their fun! My verdict on the Guinness was...better suited for the charming older Irish men. I'm not a beer gal, but seeing as it was my first night in Dublin, I figured I needed to have the national drink. There were also signs posted, including one I really loved: "There are no strangers, only friends you haven't yet met." I loved that so much I wrote it on the palm of my hand with the pen I always keep with me. I'm writing nerd, in case you haven't noticed. I also wrote down the names of my pilots because I loved their cliche names so much...Nigel from the UK and Shea from Ireland. Perfection.
Our first pint!


Glitterman's Pub!
When Sarah and I were about to head to bed, these two Irish students knocked on our door to introduce themselves. We thoroughly enjoyed meeing Paddy (perfect, right), and Audrey. Ah, it was so nice and just another example of how kind the Irish have been to us. We asked them lots of questions about the school we'll be attending (Paddy goes there, Audrey goes to fashion school near by), and about where to buy a hair straightener and blow dryer (the important things in life.) Don't worry, we asked them other things too, and they want to show us some good 'Craic' (good time), so we're ready and waiting.
Anyway, time for bed! Can't find my converter and my battery has 3 minutes left. Whoops! Orientation tomorrow, and I'm so excited! Cheers, loves!

2 comments:

  1. So nice to know you're there safe and sound. Finding a new post from you is easily in the top 3 of great things that happened today. :)

    Love you much,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Steph. It was so nice to skype with you tonight! ahhh you so international girl. :)

    ReplyDelete